- 100ml (3½fl oz) dry white wine
- 500ml (18fl oz) ready-made fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 600g (1lb 5oz) white fish, skinned and cubed
- 150g (5½oz) smoked haddock, skinned and cubed
- 50g (1¾oz) each butter and plain flour
- 2tbsp double cream
- 2 gherkins, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2-3tbsp Pernod
- 150g (5½oz) uncooked tiger prawns, peeled
- 75g (2¾oz) queen scallops
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F, gas 6. Heat the wine, stock and bay leaf in a pan, add the fish and poach for 5 minutes. Remove the fish and pat dry. Strain the liquid into a jug. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the liquid, reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cream, gherkins, tarragon and Pernod. Stir in fish, prawns and scallops.
Spoon into a pie dish. Roll pastry slightly larger than the dish. Place over the filling and stick to the rim of the dish with the egg. Cut snowflakes out of the pastry trimmings and use to decorate the pie. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.